Saturday, December 23, 2006

Absence


This is me as a character, Jane. I originally set out to do a painting, but then it turned into this sort of grudgy picture. I like it though.

Jane's story is a bit complicated, but I'll try to simplify it. In a storm somewhere in the Atlantic around 1780, she falls overboard. Over in 2006, a man named Brian--a drunken, past-haunted guy who is one of three working for the coast guard on a small island off of FL--finds a girl washed up on the shore after a big storm. He, very unwillingly, takes her to his house until she is better. She ends up staying there because he does not hit on her like the other men on the island and because there's something about him that makes her want to help him. Many fights and beatings later, they end up falling in love. Just about then Jane notices that she has a hard time grabbing hold of things, because her fingers slip on the object, and sometimes even go through it. She figures out that she is a ghost, and gradually she starts to fade away. But of course, a kiss reverses the curse, and Brian is given the chance to save her life and win her back.

I really love the characters and the plot, probably because it's different than anything I've ever done. (I spent a lot of time debating over making her a ghost.) I write about them with Abigail, and maybe someday, when we have a life, I'll actually make a book out of it.

Meanwhile, here's the picture.

Model and editing: Me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we have a life? That's really good. We're just running around without a life. :D

But me like it. It's pretty. And it does kinda remind me of Jane.

Anonymous said...

I think she should be a little invisible

Moriel said...

Very nice image. I like the story behind it too, except I really hope that by "many fights and beatings later, they end up falling in love" you don't mean him beating her, because...falling in love with an abuser is generally not smart, you know?